Monday, September 1, 2014

About Me and This Blog (The Short Version)

About a year ago, I was working at a job I hated and made me physically ill - I’d start my day with a coffee and a xanax, knowing I’d probably need one or the other to get me through the day.  That job was like the boyfriend I knew I’d end it with eventually, but was good enough until the next good thing came along.  In an unexpected turn of events, I was laid off / broken up with, before I could pull the trigger myself.   I was hurt, felt betrayed and was angry.  I decided to leave a city I love, Austin, to move to a city I didn’t really know anything about but was closer to where I’d consider one of my “homes,” LA’s South Bay, I landed in Phoenix.  I vowed to “never work for the man again” and started an e-commerce retail shop (www.myolivepress.com) with a couple of my friends.  Despite my passion to grow this venture and my ability to succeed, the bills needed to be paid, unemployment had run dry and we were no where close to turning a profit big enough to support my monthly expenses.  I’m decidedly a lot like Jay-Z, “I’m a hustla, baby” – I’d made up my mind, and working for the man I would not.  I knew I’d figure it out; I always had in the past.  I threw a wide net and made money anyway I could – keep in mind, I have some limitations on that, folks.  Sometime back in March I started driving for a “ride-share” company in my spare time to make some extra cash.  It was flexible, the money was easy and it was fun.  Every day I drove strangers around, I laughed, I shook my head in disbelief and I told myself I needed to start documenting these encounters.  Six months later, after a ride inspirational enough to document…here we go.   You’re welcome in advance for the life lessons learned in my Ford Edge Limited; I know you’ll find these as valuable as I have.


Note:  Names, times, locations and relevant details may or may not have been changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment