Monday, September 8, 2014

Just Another Manic Monday...

Since I'm trapped in the house this morning - you know, due to severe flooding in the desert - I figured I'd share my favorite Monday morning story.

This particular morning, I'd set my alarm for earlier than I actually cared to get up, get dressed and get to driving.  I snoozed.  I snoozed again.  And... I snoozed again.  Finally, I was up, ready and online by about 8am.  My first call sent me downtown to retrieve a businessman from a hotel and take him to the airport.  After dropping off the unmemorable man at the airport, I decided to avoid the morning commute traffic and take the side streets back into downtown.  As I was exiting the freeway, I got a ride request from Fernando.

I accept, seeing it's only a few minutes away.  "Back toward the airport, but not quite the airport," I thought, as I looked at where the pin was dropped.  I hit the navigate button and began my 7 minute journey.

"Dodgey part of town," I thought as I approached the pin.  I wondered where I was picking this Fernando fella up - I mean, I did once pick up a guy at the Jack-In-The-Box over this way.  Nothing is out of the realm of possibility, people.  When you need a ride, you need a ride... and some cool chic like me (if you're lucky) will come pick you up.  As I'm waiting at the light, I hear a ding!  (Cue the universal sound for a text message).

Before I get too far, let me tell you that each ride share driver has a phone number associated with them - this phone number isn't actually theirs... it's a reverse number.  So your driver sees the same number as you would coming across their phone.  This protects the innocent, and those who wish not to be bothered by the other party once their business transaction is complete.  More on this later...

Anyway...

This is what pops up on my screen.



Upon reading this text message, time stamped 8:23am on a Monday, I take a screen shot and send it to at least 4 friends - "Wondering how MY monday morning is going?  Well this just happened..."

Then, I say aloud only for myself to hear:

  • Gross.
  • Really?
  • Why?
  • Is this real life?
I look up and see that the said "Adult Bookstore" is straight ahead on the left.  I'm intrigued by who might get into my car.  And I immediately regret not having antibacterial wipes on hand.  

I wait.  

I send Fernando a text.  "Hi.  This is Anna your uberx driver. I'm here."  Followed by, "in front of the Adult Bookstore."  I chuckle to myself, knowing the second text was solely for my personal humor.  

After about 5 minutes, Fernando finally appears, wearing basketball shorts and a black wife beater.  I've never been a patron to one of these adult bookstores, so I can only assume they're less classy than an actual strip club, and don't have the "dress code is strictly enforced" sign hanging near the bouncer.  Hell, maybe it's actually a bookstore?  Maybe there's a market for these types of books?  Maybe to get the best books you wake up very early on Monday so you're one of the first ones there when they open?  Wait, when did this place even open?

With all that is in me, I want to blast off a million questions.  But I casually say, "Good morning, I presume your Monday is off to a good start?"  I laugh to myself.  My humor is totally lost of Fernando, which is good.  He starts barking directions out to me.  Clearly dude needs to get home.  And quick.

I drop him off at the exact opposite location of where I picked him up from -- right in front of a church.    Maybe that's where he'll read his new books?  

Lessons Learned:
  1. Everyone needs love and/or entertainment where love might not be an option.
  2. The dress codes at adult bookstores are pretty flexible.  I'm sure you're fine in exactly what you have on.  
  3. A good amount of sanitizer and antibacterial wipes never hurt anyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment