Monday, September 22, 2014

East Lansing Cowboy.

It started as a pretty boring ride.  I'd told him about the blog while we were en route to pick up his work colleague.  He told me he'd probably not be able to contribute any shenanigans or humor to my stories - I then turned around to see him in a Party City-esque cowboy hat.  I wondered how he could NOT be entertaining with that hat on.  We arrive to pick up his work colleague, upon getting situated in the car, he relayed the message letting her know about the blog and how they should be on their best behavior.

They chat quietly in the backseat while I bask in the awesomeness of my new favorite radio station.

I can surmise from their conversation they're in the entertainment industry - he's probably in production role.  He makes a point to tell her that he "used to have to do that... back when he was a young free-lancer."  I missed what he had to do back then but decide that based on his looks he's not that far removed from being young or freelancing.  I lived in LA and have made acquaintances with more than a few people in the industry, and I'm well aware that it's a cut throat industry, based on equal parts who you know and luck.  He seems fairly articulate, so I decide it's probably the former.

While the two seemed to be working on the same project in Arizona, they obviously didn't travel together.  They were staying at different resorts and traveling on different airlines.  Much to their displeasure, these airlines operated out of separate terminals.  Sadly they wouldn't be able to share a drink before they boarded.

The conversation changes to driving.  He tells her he's made the cross country drive a few times.  Once from New York to LA.  Another time from Florida.  And a few times from Michigan.  I ask if that's where he's from.

Him:  Yea.

Me:  Right on.  I'm from Michigan too.

Him:  What part?

Me:  Holland.  Westside.  On Lake Michigan.

Him:  Ah, cool.  Go Hope College.

Me:  Yea, that's where a lot of my graduating class went.  I actually went to Michigan.

Silence.

Him:  I went to Michigan State.

After briefly contemplating my response... I know most Spartans think Wolverines have the same distaste for them, as they do us.  But, the reality is, it's the Buckeyes that are our rival.  Michigan State is an incredible school in my home state.  I have nothing but respect for the credibility of the school, their academic programs and their athletics.  Let's face it, I've done my fair share of rooting for the other Michigan school when my team wasn't in the tournament.  So I just reply with, "Right on, good for you."

I'm instructed to drop her off first since her flight departs slightly earlier.

Upon her departure from the car, I can tell he has something to say.

Him:  No disrespect, but if you have a degree in architecture from The University of Michigan, why are you driving for Uber?  I feel like you're wasting your education and your intelligence.

I'm immediately annoyed.  He doesn't know me.  He has no idea what the circumstances are to my life that have brought me to this moment, of him in my backseat and me cheerfully picking him up and taking him to the airport.  He has no idea that the last job that I "used my education and my intelligence" left me popping Xanax to make it through the day.  He has no idea that I'm using this job with Uber to allow myself the freedom and flexibility to pursue and build something from scratch.  He has no idea of all of the other things I've done and still do.  He's judging me, and what I'm doing on a Sunday afternoon based on nothing of substance.  I take a deep breath, knowing my response to his ignorant and incredibly arrogant comment is crucial.

Me:  Well, it might seem that way, sure.  This allows me the time I need to build the start-up I began last year and do some real estate development consulting and sales on the side.  Believe me, I've had these "big girl" jobs you're thinking I should have, but I decided, I'd rather be poor and happy than have a fat paycheck and be medicated.  I'd rather spend my time on that and with whom brings me joy.

We're finally to Terminal 4.  I'm glad I get to say goodbye to him.  I'm insulted and angry.  I wish I could tell him that my intelligence wasn't wasted when I just made $89 his 20 minute trip.

By the time I get home that afternoon, I feel empowered.  His arrogance and snap judgement comment have lit another fire in me to keep on this path.  While it's a hustle, and it's stressful at times, I'd rather be building my dreams, then someone else's.

Lessons Learned:

  1. You really have no idea where someone is in their life, or their journey.  Be careful the judgement you throw their way.  
  2. Ask questions, assume nothing.
  3. If you start a sentence with anything resembling, "Don't take this the wrong way" or "No disrespect but..." or the like, know that you're doing EXACTLY what you're pretending is not your intention.  
  4. Be kind to your fellow Michiganders.  Or Californians, etc.  
  5. Take encounters like this and turn them into positives.  Keep chasing your dreams.  Keep writing your story  Take pride in your story - it'll only make sense to you and it needn't make sense to anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment