Monday, September 22, 2014

College Applications and Real World Advice

It's been a crazy few weeks.  I've added a couple more jobs to my roster... they will be excluded from my resume, however.  Smart girls like to learn - this girl would rather gain knowledge WHILE I'm getting paid.  I was tired all day.  I spent the day catching up on real life stuff.  Scheduling car repair appointments, working on My Olive Press stuff, responding to email from 2 weeks ago, walking Whiskey, going to the gym, Target and the Chiropractor AND.... drying my hair.  Big day of regular stuff over here.  I told myself I'd drive in the afternoon - for evening commute.  I had the app running while at my desk.  The alert comes in, I grab my keys and head out the door.

The address is a range of addresses - which annoys me.  I drive to where the passenger is pinned to find him and girl laying in the grass on a corner lot.

They're young - I think maybe college age, but just look young.  He opens the door for her and tells her "Ladies first."  I smile, knowing that his parents are clearly good examples for the chivalry that is so charming on a man (a man of any age).

He tells me I'm his first female driver.  And talks about a story he was listening to on NPR.

"Smart kid," I think to myself.

He and his lady friend are talking about school.  Applying to colleges.  The valedictorian.  And the Salutatorian who they don't believe should have gotten it.  I remember these roles being something dictated by grade point average...

They talk about who's applying to which schools and how one person has applied to Harvard as her "safe school."

Their conversation naturally comes to a stop.  He asks, so Anna, if you could give us any advice to making it on our own, what would it be?

I smile at his question.  So much maturity and curiosity rolled into a question.  I know his question was asked in the most authentic manner and was to seek knowledge and input - and not merely to make small talk with the woman driving them home.  I think quickly about what I wished someone had told me as I was a month or two in to my senior year of high school.  I briefly note exactly how many years ago that actually was.

My replies:

  • Take out all of the student loans that are presented to you.  Don't think you can get by with less and work more.  You have your whole life to work.  Enjoy school.  But don't be stupid with that money.  I tell them about a friend of mine who'd invested the portion he didn't need for his semester.  I tell them that's the cheapest loan that they'll ever get.  Most people have them, so it's nothing to be ashamed of.  
  • Enjoy school.  The real world arrives quicker than you'd like.  Relish the time you have in school.  Meet new people.  Have an open mind.  Try new things.  I tell them about how a friend in college told me I could have had a better GPA if I stayed in studio longer and worked harder.  I briefly told that friend, I wouldn't change anything about my college experience.  I met new people.  I went to parties.  I went to sporting events.  I wouldn't undo any of that for a higher GPA.
  • Speaking of GPAs, no one cares in the real world.  Not once has an employer ever asked me what my graduating GPA was from The University of Michigan.  Not.A.One.  
  • Wear sunscreen.  Wear moisturizer.
  • If you're going to drink, be responsible.  Remember to drink water.  Be safe.  
They both interject here and there in response to my comments.  And he tells me, "there's something to be said to really following what you're passionate about even if it's not what you studied."  I smile knowing that he just gave me exactly the advice I needed to hear.  

I dropped them off, wished them well and returned home to keep working on all of the things that have nothing to do with my education, but everything to do with what I'm passionate about.  

Lessons Learned:
  1. While they might be young, if you listen closely, their wisdom can incredibly spot-on and heartwarming.
  2. People choose Harvard as safe school.  I chose Michigan on a long shot... and I somehow got in... and I'm forever grateful to whomever misplaced my application in the "admitted" pile.  
Now... What would YOU have said in response to the same question?

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! How timely!
    (also liked the other one a couple back... ;-))

    ReplyDelete