Friday, September 19, 2014

#perspective

While many of my interactions are funny and worthy of storytelling, there are a few that just hit me in a different way.  This last week has been particularly tough on me, as I struggle through the perils of going against the grain in an attempt to pave my own trail.  I've been hustling like a mad woman to the point where I wonder if I'm making forward progress.  I've questioned my decision to live this sort of alternative lifestyle as I go from one job to the next ... to the next.  I'm tired.  I miss my dog.  I miss the gym and my running shoes.  I miss having fun.  The Universe is always perfect in how to sends you messages and people right when you need it.

I had a conversation via text with a distant friend.  (Distant in that we don't really talk all that much but keep tabs on one another's lives via social media.) His advice to my current predicament, "Don't find a "job"!!  Just keep doing what you're doing.  You'll find crazy amounts of success soon." Sometimes it's a perfectly time call or note from a friend that pushes you in the direction you need to go.  Sometimes it's an actual encounter which makes you stop for a minute and be truly thankful for what you DO have and who you've got backing you on your journey through life.

This week two of my passengers were blind.  One of them, a guy about my age, hasn't seen much more than a shadow his whole life.  On that drive, I began seeing things in the desert through a different lens...and appreciated what beauty there is here, instead of hating the fact that everything is a shade of brown.

Yesterday, while driving another visually impaired passenger, she asked me to stop by KFC.  She wanted to surprise her husband with fried chicken.  (Note:  I will never, ever surprise anyone with KFC, but I thought it was a sweet gesture on her part.)  We pull up to the drive-thru and there is a car in front of us, not quite to the speaker box.  I made a comment to which my passenger said, "Well maybe they're just reading the menu before they pull up."  I make a mental note to try to control my impatience, because she's probably right on this one.

We continue to sit behind the car.  I look up and notice the persons reverse lights are on and the windshield wipers are going.  There's an elderly woman in the car.  I wait for a couple more minutes thinking maybe it's a rental and she's not sure which gear she's in.  Soon it's clear that she's having issues.  I get out of the car and go up to her car.

Me:  Everything ok?  Do you need help?

Elderly Woman:  Yea, I think there's a problem with my car.

Me (thinking maybe she stalled it out somehow):  Maybe put the car in park and turn off the ignition and restart it.  That seems to help sometimes.

She complies.  It starts and she thanks me.  I smile and return back to my car.

A second later, wipers are going again, reverse lights on, then of.  I get back out of my car and again ask her if she needs anything.  She's visibly embarrassed and almost looks scared.  She apologizes and tells me she's not sure what she's doing wrong and could I try.  I get in her car, put it into drive and scoot ahead a bit.

Elderly Woman:  Hmm... I'm so sorry.

Me:  It's really ok.  Why don't you get in and try again.  (By now, I'm concerned, and think I should probably ask her if I can park her car and just take her where she needs to go.  But there's a passenger in my car and I feel frozen.)

She gets back in her car.  I remind her to put her foot on the brake and to pull the shifter down to the "D".  She pulls at the emergency break.  "No, not that one, that's a brake.  It's the taller one.  Pull it all the way to where it shows the "D" on the side."

She cruises ahead.  I get back into my car.  Feeling sad for her and terrified.  This woman all alone, is just trying to get some KFC and I'm scared she's going to hurt herself or someone else along the way. As she exited the drive-thru lane we hear someone lay on their horn.  I'm certain this blaring horn is directed toward this elderly woman.

My passenger comments how, someone should take away her keys.  I reply back, "what if she doesn't have anyone to take away her keys?  What if she's widowed?  Doesn't have children or family here?  What if she's alone and she's just trying to have some chicken?"  I regret letting her leave and I wonder if was supposed to be me who cared enough about her and her safety to take away her keys and drop her off at her destination.

Lessons Learned:

  1. If all of your five senses are functioning, you're better off than a lot of people.  Be grateful for that and be empathetic to those who's senses are diminished or not functioning at all.  
  2. Be patient and help when you can.
  3. Check in on your grandparents, elderly neighbors, etc - they could be alone in this world and your smile may just brighten their day.
  4. This too shall pass.
  5. People still eat KFC.

No comments:

Post a Comment